. Contemplative Haven: Madonna House

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Madonna House

We were away for a few days exploring the Ottawa Valley and beyond. When I realized we were not far from Combermere, Ontario, a dream came true for me - a visit to Madonna House, founded by Servant of God Catherine Doherty.

If you have never read Catherine Doherty's works, a few of her better-known ones are Poustinia, Sobornost, Urodivoi and Strannik. I highly recommend them.

Here are a couple of links for more information about the Madonna House Apostolate and for Catherine Doherty's cause for canonization:
www.madonnahouse.org

www.catherinedoherty.org

In 1941, when Catherine had set up "Friendship House" in Harlem, New York, a young Thomas Merton was very attracted to her vision, and she recognized something very special within him as well. She tried her best to convince him to join in her work, but ultimately he decided against it, and pursued his course in becoming a Trappist.


Here are some of Catherine's own words describing one facet of the Madonna House Apostolate:


Becoming a Prayer
"We touch God with one hand and touch our neighbour with the other. This means we become cruciform. A cruciform man is a symbol of prayer. The only true communication is that which exists between two crucified people."


1 Comments:

Blogger World Village Fair Trade Mobile said...

Yes I have read those books by Catherine. I met Catherine Doherty in May of 1979 in Combermere. It ws a week that changed my life. I, too, am married, and have two children. Because Catherine had such a profound influence on me, I started a non-profit org. called "Sobornost For The World Foundation, Inc." with some wonderful lay Catholics. We do three things: we have a contemplative prayer community that has met for eight years on a monthly basis, we started a fair trade store in our area on Long Island and we began a mission to help orphans in Africa in 2003. We now support over 350 orphans in education, food, clothes, etc. I attribute it to Catherine Doherty ... her love for God first, her need to show her love to her neighbors, the poor, and her experience as mother, wife and woman. I feel blest to have met her and corresponded with her. Thank you for writing. My blog address is: Opt For The Poor!
Pattye

 

Post a Comment

<< Home