. Contemplative Haven: Devotions Meme

Sunday, December 31, 2006

Devotions Meme

I've been maimed memed by dear Honora, so here goes:

1. Favourite devotion or prayer to Jesus?
In recent years, the Divine Mercy Chaplet and the Jesus Prayer, but also many of the devotions to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

2. Favourite Marian devotion or prayer?
Absolutely the Memorare, since childhood.

3. Do you wear a scapular or medal?
I have a brown scapular which was my mother's and that I've carried for decades in my wallet, simply because the thread-like string bothers me when I wear it (so I guess the hair-shirt is definitely out). I have an assortment of medals, but I most frequently wear the Sacred Heart.

4. Do you have holy water in your home?
Yes, several bottles, and last year I bought a small holy water font at the little giftshop of a Polish parish we visited. I thought it would look lovely above the calendar in the kitchen, where we could all see it and reach it. The first time I filled it, it overflowed, ran down the wall, and drenched the calendar. I tried to wipe up the mess, smeared everything handwritten on the calendar, and had no idea what I was doing for the entire month. I fill more cautiously now.

5. Do you 'offer up' your sufferings?
I always try to.

6. Do you observe First Fridays and First Saturdays?
I have tried. I have tried. I have failed. I observe them go by, having failed.

7. Do you go to Eucharistic Adoration?
Yes, as often as possible, but not as much as I would like.

8. Are you a Saturday evening Mass person or Sunday morning Mass person?
Mass attendance generally has to correspond to family/parish commitments. Also, I enjoy mixing it up, because we have five Masses per weekend, with five different choirs, and I love the wide variety of music.

9. Do you say prayers at mealtime?
When we do, it's only at suppertime. Always on special occasions, quite frequently inbetween, but something we forget to do regularly...

10. Favourite saints?
St. Faustina, St. Catherine of Siena, St. Gertrude the Great, St. Teresa of Avila, St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross, St. Margaret Mary Alacoque, and many more.

11. Can you recite the Apostles' Creed by heart?
Yes, in both English and French, but the Nicene Creed I only know in English, for some reason.

12. Do you usually say short prayers (aspirations) during the course of the day?
Not really, but I think it was a matter of conditioning (and intonation). I had a fiesty Irish grandmother, who could make every short prayer sound the exact opposite of a benediction or aspiration. When she said, "Jesus, Mary and Joseph!", we were well-advised to get out of the room! It's just not my way of praying.

13. Where is your favourite place to pray?
In front of the Blessed Sacrament, alone in a dimly-lit church, outside in any grotto-like setting, or at home if everyone else is asleep.

14. Bonus Question #1: When you pass by an automobile accident or other serious mishap, do you say a quick prayer for the folks involved?
Always.

15. Bonus Question #2: If you could visit any of Our Lady's apparition sites, which one would you choose?
I have already been lucky enough to have visited Lourdes, so I think it would be Zeitoun, Egypt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home