. Contemplative Haven: Feastday of St. Francis de Sales

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Feastday of St. Francis de Sales

I inherited a copy of, "The Life of St. Francis de Sales, Bishop and Prince of Geneva", by Robert Ornsby, M.A., published in 1859. I think it may be a 1st edition, having come into my possession through my maternal great-grandparents, via a box of books I was given when my grandmother died.

This 1st edition (if it is indeed a 1st edition) would likely not catch any great sum though, if one were in the business of collecting 1st editions for that purpose. Someone has scribbled on a few of the opening and ending blank pages, and another has, quite unbelievably, pasted newspaper obituary notices on the insides of the front and back covers.

I was sadly noting this peculiar state of affairs for the umpteenth time this evening, thinking, is that any way to treat a book, any book, let alone, "The Life of St. Francis de Sales, Bishop and Prince of Geneva"? Suddenly it occurred to me that there must be a reason why these particular obituary clippings were glued to this particular book; it could not be a random act of obit-pasting, could it? They are yellowed with age, the obits (two different ones of the same person) being from the 1800s. And so I read them, perhaps not for the first time, but for the first time with undivided attention.

They tell a sad story of a young priest, ordained only the previous year, who suddenly dies after a mysterious three-day illness. He was up-and-coming, of "very great intellectual ability", and "much beloved by the Catholics" of his city, appointed Secretary to his Bishop almost immediately upon ordination. (May I just say that the reason why I'm posting this so late on the Feastday is because I have been googling these two people all evening). Now, I cannot give away all the details, but suffice to say the plot thickens, leading (take a deep breath) to the 1st Vatican Council. Ah, could it not be the makings of a novel, thought I, a Catholic historical thriller? And what, pray tell, has it all got to do with my family? Why did one of my ancestors lovingly keep this young priest's obits, and paste them tenderly into, "The Life of St. Francis de Sales"? Whose book was this, and what is the relationship between the book and the young priest's death? Oh, St. Francis de Sales, you've got my heart and imagination all fired up, which is only fitting, isn't it, since you are the Patron Saint of Writers!

"Dear St. Francis de Sales, please continue to guide all of our wonderful and dedicated Catholic writers over the course of this coming year, and most especially, please bless and encourage the gifted one who emailed me tonight. Amen."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home