. Contemplative Haven: Gems of the Months

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Gems of the Months

Now, don't go getting your heads all in a spin; this isn't "New Age". It's something I came across in a little book entitled, "My Prayer-Book. Happiness in Goodness. Reflections, Counsels, Prayers, and Devotions", by Father R. Lasance, published in 1908, and it has the Nihil Obstat. This book is a little gem in itself, filled with things from Catholic days gone by, some of which I would like to share from time to time. Now, on to the monthly gems:

January.........Garnet.........Perseverance; Constancy.

February........Pearl...........Faith and Innocence.

March...........Hyacinth......Moral Beauty - Moral Goodness.

April.............Diamond......Purity and Fortitude.

May..............Emerald.......Faith in God and Faithfulness in Friendship.


June.............Amethyst......Peace of Mind; also Sincerity.

July..............Ruby...........Success; Devotedness to Duty.

August..........Sardonyx.......Felicity; Conformity to the Will of God.

September......Sapphire.......Divine Love and Mercy. Love and Repentance in Man.

October.........Opal............Happiness of a Pure Life; also Hope.

November......Topaz...........Divine Providence; Resignation; Fidelity.

December.......Turquoise.....Piety; Fervor in God's Service; Prosperity.

Since we are starting a new year, I thought it might be a good time to share this, so that we could reflect on the description and significance of the particular gem in our own lives. Perhaps it might speak to us this year of something which requires attention, or of something with which the Lord has already blessed us, preparing us to move forward to grow and blossom in other areas.

Mine is August. Felicity. Happiness. I am to try to be happy? Is not that rather lacking in depth? Conformity to the Will of God. This I desire and strive for, despite ongoing struggles with discernment.

Yet, if I put the two together, it becomes clearer. Felicity, happiness, in conforming to the will of God. Now that is something I can sink my teeth into, and my whole heart and soul. That is not the happiness of the world; that is a happiness for which I can pray, for which I can strive, with His grace. That is a felicity which does not preclude sharing in His suffering, or the suffering of my neighbour, but rather, demands it. That is a felicity I can live with, a felicity many saints and martyrs have died for. Oh, to be happy, to be truly happy, with true Christian joy.

Just look at that list. Imagine being adorned with all of those jewels as we stand before the Lord.

From Isaiah (61:10)
"I rejoice heartily in the Lord,
in my God is the joy of my soul;
For he has clothed me with a robe of salvation,
and wrapped me in a mantle of justice,
Like a bridegroom adorned with a diadem,
like a bride bedecked with her jewels."

(Just as an aside, I have never heard of "hyacinth" as a gem, but only as a flower. Have any of you ever heard of it as a gem? Also, upon looking it up in the dictionary, I see that gemstones can only be used in jewelry after they have been cut and polished. Well, we know all about that, don't we?)

2 Comments:

Blogger owenswain said...

Mine is October and it seems most fitting. Peace be with you.

 
Blogger owenswain said...

I should add, it is fitting in that this what I long for not that I have attained it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home