. Contemplative Haven: A Trappist Gift

Sunday, February 04, 2007

A Trappist Gift


I would like to share with you today one of the most beautiful websites I have ever come across, that of the Trappist monks of Our Lady of the Prairies Monastery, situated in western Canada, in Holland, Manitoba.

The website was created with the help of the St. Norbert Arts Centre and the Canadian federal government department of Canadian Heritage, for the Virtual Museum of Canada. Called, A Day in the Life of a Trappist Monk, the site is, in my opinion, a work of art on every level, be it spiritual, aesthetics, information, music, history - a place I will return to time and time again.

Among other things, you will find overviews of the seven prayertimes the monks participate in daily, with a short video clip for each, as well as overviews of the main components of the monastic life, with video clips as well as diagrams/printed instructions of the pertinent Trappist sign language. As well, there is information and audio clips/videos of chant, in both Latin and French.

All this, and so much more. A treasure trove of the Cistercian/Trappist life. Enjoy. Spend a few hours sometime, if you can. I think you may want to.

1 Comments:

Blogger owenswain said...

Thank you. 90%, no kidding, of links people send me I do not even click through. I did click this one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home